Sunday, January 09, 2011

Warning: Beware of St Lawrence Exteriors in case you live in Kingston, Gananoque, Napanee and surrounding areas

Here's a warning to my good neighbours in Gananoque, Kingston, Napanee and surrounding towns about St Lawrence Exteriors. About 2 years or so ago I hired St Lawrence Exteriors to replace the shingles on my roof. In the process the company destroyed one of the skylights on my roof. There was glass all over in one of my bedrooms, the lot. To be fair, that sort of thing can happen, and the company agreed to replace the skylight. It goes without saying that initially it tried to crank up the price of the roofing way beyond the initial quote, presumably to recover the cost of what was so obviously the company's mistake.

Worse, this winter I discovered that the window they had put in was actually cracked. They hid this by gluing (!) flashing on top of the crack. Well, eventually the crack extended and now covers the whole window. Worse, the flashing has come off during a recent storm (it was glued onto the glass - boggles the mind in its own right). The window has to be replaced yet again. All a result of terribly shoddy workmanship.

I have since called both of the company's owners as well as their office, but nobody bothered returning my calls. I asked that they fix the problem they or their contractor have caused. I also emailed them with the same request. No reply. I also asked the Better Business Bureau to try on my behalf, but to no avail. It turns out that the company is already ranked as 'D' (second lowest), because it does seem to have a habit of ignoring customer complaints.

I learned my lesson. From now on I will first check at the Better Business Bureau website how companies are ranked to avoid being treated like I am currently treated by St Lawrence Exteriors. Think twice about hiring St Lawrence Exteriors for any work that you might have. They might just let you down, too.

11 comments:

  1. Monty Le PenJanuary 11, 2011

    These people sound worse than Catholics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's rude, but I agree with the thought process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience with them. At least you've learned something from it, albeit the hard way. However, one has to realize that not all contractors are like that. As a matter of fact, it's always better to consult with a contractor to check with the state of a house before doing any renovations or repairs. When looking for a roofing contractor, one should check their history and reviews about them. Make sure the ones you've hired are reliable and committed to using only quality materials and giving efficient service.

    Tedricks Roofing Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i too am having some challenges with St.Lawrence Exteriors and Construction in Gananoque. I am hoping it can all be resolved. But trust me I will give a final update as to what happens with them....

    btw BBB is truly useless, but there are other effective means to dealing with un-trusting contractors....

    i will remain anonymous for now, but not forever......

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great blog, usually i don't post comments on blogs but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so!

    Parking lot Striping Atlanta & Concrete Contractor Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

    Rip Rap Installation in FL & Shoreline Restoration in FL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

    Asphalt Sealcoating Atlanta & Asphalt Crack Sealing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contents of the site are generally great as well as appreciative.

    Title 5 Inspection Worcester & Septic System Company Worcester

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one Great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so Provided here

    Stain Kitchen Cabinets & Interior house painting 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admit, I have not been on this webpage in a long time... however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues. Great stuff as usual...

    Types of pressure washers dallas & Plano Power Washing dallas

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.

    roofing materials Houston & roof maintenance Galveston

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.